Tuesday 14 August 2012

Grant me that - My non-funding history

A successful PI here in UCC made the point to me (after a grant application of mine was bounced) that only about 1 in 6 applications of his are funded. This may have been a white lie, but I thought it'd be interesting to look back on all of my applications since I finished my PhD and see how it's gone for me (items in bold were funded):

 2005 - Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship
 2006 - Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
 2006 - EPSRC Project Grant (minor contribution)
 2007 - President of Ireland Young Researcher Award
 2008 - SFI Principal Investigator
 2008 - Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowship
 2008 - Health Research Board Career Development Fellowship
 2009 - CSA Trust Jacques-Émile Dubois Grant
 2009 - SFI Starting Investigator Research Grant
 2009 - Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowship
 2010 - CSA Trust Jacques-Émile Dubois Grant
 2011 - European Research Council Starting Grant
 2011 - IRCSET Enterprise Partnership Scheme
 2011 - SFI Starting Investigator Research Grant

Note that a couple of researchers out there are going a bit further than me, and actually posting up their grant applications. Check them out (via +Jan Jensen).

Image credit: The above image of Grant's Tomb (geddit?) is by ScottOldham (CC-BY-SA).

1 comment:

Geoff Hutchison said...

I don't know the statistics for Ireland or Europe, but here in the States, funding rates between 5-15% are not uncommon with similar sorts of agencies (e.g., Howard Hughes, NIH, NSF, DOE, DoD, etc.)

I won't publish my funding rate, but suffice to say, the advice in academics is to try, try, try, try again. ;-)